Monday, February 13, 2017

Setting Up WordPress to Database

I was recently hired to maintain the website for a corporation who uses WordPress. I am not terribly familiar with WordPress, but they are willing to give me a chance to learn it.

I am working through the WordPress course at Lynda.com (not a sponsor) so I can set up a development site where I can test changes to the site without fear of breaking it. The learning curve is steep for me, and I'm making a lot of errors, but I'm figuring things out and learning as I go!

The webhost I use is DreamHost (not a sponsor), and I love them! The customer service is phenomenal and their service is stable. Much different experience than I've had with GoDaddy or Shopify with the various other pages I've managed. The only issue, which is not necessarily a bad one, is that they prefer to get trouble tickets online vs a phone call. They try to get back to the customer within 24 hours, but a couple of times it has taken them longer to get back to me because I've asked complicated questions and the wait was totally worth it! They've always provided me with exactly the information I needed, and I work better with written instructions over verbal.

As I've been setting up WordPress for development, I've made some mistakes. After typing in the database name, username, password, and database host, I proceeded to change the wp-config.php file which screwed everything up. Why did I do this? I wasn't paying full attention to the tutorial video when the instructor said to only change this file if you get an error message after setting up the information online.

This mistake led to an error of "Error Establishing a Database Connection". I spent a couple hours searching for help, reloading the files and trying all the different combinations of domain names, user names, passwords, and domain hosts that I could have possibly used when setting up everything initially.

Finally, I decided just to delete the wp-config.php file and reset the wp-config-sample.php file. This put everything back to the beginning where I had to reenter the database name, username, password, and database host when I pulled up the website link. I made a point to make sure to write down exactly what entered for each field and everything is good now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment