Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Just Do It, Just Put Yourself Out There

Okay, so I am being cheesy and taking the Nike slogan. Here's why. I am finding that by putting myself out there things are so much better than I anticipate. I struggle with anxiety. I am terrified to talk to people I don't know, especially in a group setting. I wanted to cry at the first Oklahoma Women in Tech meeting I went to because I was so freaked out, but I left feeling empowered. I hid in the back corner of the room at the first tech conference I went to at Little Rock Tech Fest 2015. I recently went to my third tech conference, the 200 OK Web Developers Conference, and it was amazing. I met some incredible people who were all very welcoming and patient with my lack of knowledge, but encouraging me that I know more than I believe I do. The first coding class I went to I was excited and scared, but I realized things aren't as difficult and scary as they seem to be in my head. Online groups I have joined have been very supportive as well. No one has told me I can't do this which is what I am so terrified of hearing.

So, I want to challenge you to put yourself out there. Go find a coding class to take, a local meetup to attend, a Facebook group to join, a conference to attend.

If you are not sure how to go about finding these resources, check out Women Who Code for conferences, search Google or Facebook, and check out Meetup.com.

Just do it, just put yourself out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment